Terror plot suspects planned shooting spree
COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) -- Four men charged with plotting a 2010 terror attack in Denmark to retaliate for newspapers publishing cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad were likely targeting an event the crown prince was to attend, prosecutors said Friday at the start of their trial.
Prosecutors said evidence suggests the three Swedish citizens and one Swedish resident were planning a shooting spree at a newspaper building in Denmark during an annual sports award ceremony.
Prosecutor Henrik Plaehn said that there was no indication Crown Prince Frederik was singled out, "but there are things that point to the event itself being a specific target."
Munir Awad, Omar Abdalla Aboelazm and Mounir Ben Mohamed Dhahri had driven from Sweden and were arrested on their way to Copenhagen. The fourth defendant, Sabhi Ben Mohamed Zalouti, left the car en route and returned to Stockholm where he was arrested.
The men, of North African and Mideastern origin, face terrorism and weapons charges.
Misconduct alleged in agents' dismissal
CARTAGENA, Colombia (AP) -- A dozen Secret Service agents sent to Colombia to provide security for President Obama at an international summit have been relieved of duty because of allegations of misconduct.
The Associated Press received an anonymous tip that the misconduct involved prostitutes in Cartagena, the site of the Summit of the Americas.
Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan would not confirm that prostitution was involved, saying only that there had been "allegations of misconduct" made against Secret Service personnel in the Colombian port city hosting Obama and more than 30 world leaders.
Donovan said the allegations of misconduct were related to activity before the president's arrival Friday night.
Bin Laden's widows slated for deportation
ISLAMABAD (AP) -- Pakistan will deport Osama bin Laden's three widows and their children to Saudi Arabia next week after they finish a 45-day prison sentence for illegally entering and living in the country, their defense lawyer said Friday.
The family has been in detention since American commandos killed bin Laden in a large house in the Pakistani town of Abbottabad last May and were convicted on April 2. The Americans left the women and children behind after they flew off with bin Laden's corpse.
The women and children will be deported April 18, a day after they finish their sentence, said their lawyer Mohammed Amir Khalil.
Two women are from Saudi Arabia, and one is from Yemen. It was unclear why authorities weren't sending the Yemeni woman to her home country.
There has been uncertainty about whether Saudi Arabia would accept the women. The country stripped bin Laden of his citizenship in 1994 because of his verbal attacks against the Saudi royal family. Saudi officials have declined to comment.
Blogger sues Times over hacked email
LONDON (AP) -- A police blogger unmasked by The Times of London is suing the paper after it admitted hacking his email, a lawyer said Friday, adding to the scandal for Rupert Murdoch's British media empire over its reporters' misdeeds.
Lawyer Mark Lewis told the Associated Press that his firm sued the 227-year-old publication over its hacking of Richard Horton's email account.
The Times identified Horton as the detective behind the award-winning "NightJack" blog in a controversial 2009 piece that Horton unsuccessfully sued to suppress. The blog provided a rare, behind-the-scenes look at policing in Britain.
According to an account of the 2009 lawsuit published in Britain's New Statesman magazine, Horton's lawyer raised the possibility that the detective's Hotmail account had been illegally accessed -- an allegation dismissed as "baseless" by Times lawyer Alastair Brett.
But in recent testimony before an official inquiry into media ethics, Times managers admitted that one of their reporters had accessed Horton's account.