2 firefighters die in building collapse
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Two firefighters who were battling a massive blaze at an abandoned warehouse Monday were killed when an adjacent furniture store they were inspecting collapsed, burying them in debris, authorities said.
It took about two hours to extract the bodies of Lt. Robert Neary, 60, and firefighter Daniel Sweeney, 25, because of all the debris, Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers said at a news conference. Two other firefighters were rescued and taken to a hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.
"We are deeply saddened by the loss of these two firefighters," Mayor Michael Nutter said. "It just hurts a great, great deal."
The blaze in the city's Kensington section started around 3:15 a.m. and quickly spread.
Both firefighters were respected members of the department and had been commended for a long list of rescues over the years, Ayers said.
Police try to ID victims in 'sextortion' case
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Investigators are trying to identify hundreds of potential victims whose images were found on the computer of an Indiana man charged with coercing two teenage boys into performing online sex acts for him by threatening to post on gay porn sites compromising videos he secretly made of them.
U.S. Attorney Joe Hogsett said during a Monday news conference that the "sextortion" case against Richard Leon Finkbiner could become the largest of its kind in the United States.
Finkbiner, 39, was arrested Friday at his home in the Clay County community of Brazil and faces two preliminary counts of sexually exploiting a child. During questioning by FBI agents, Finkbiner estimated that he had coerced at least 100 young people into making explicit videos, according to documents filed in U.S. District Court in Terre Haute.
"We are fearful that it could involve hundreds of individuals not just here in Indiana but across the country," Hogsett said. Authorities are hoping that other potential victims will come forward.
Number of hackers' victims increases
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Hundreds of thousands of people could have had their Social Security numbers stolen by hackers, state health officials said Monday after discovering that the thieves downloaded thousands more files of personal information than authorities initially believed.
The revised estimates were issued after nearly 200,000 additional files were found to have been downloaded by the hackers, health department spokesman Tom Huduchko said at a news conference. Officials originally estimated that about 24,000 people had their records stolen after a computer tracked to Eastern Europe infiltrated a server beginning March 30, then changed that number to 182,000 potential victims.
The culprits actually downloaded about 224,000 files, some of which contained hundreds of records, Huduchko said. The discovery adds more than 750,000 people to the number whose data was taken.