Share this article

print logo

AROUND THE WORLD

> ARUBA

Police hold American in missing person case

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- Authorities in Aruba believe a missing American tourist is no longer alive and are seeking to extend a detention order for her travel companion as they seek witnesses to build a case against him, a prosecutor on the Dutch Caribbean island said Friday.

Investigators have few witnesses who saw Robyn Gardner and Gary V. Giordano together in Aruba before he reported her missing, said Solicitor General Taco Stein.

Giordano has told police they were snorkeling Aug. 2 when she was apparently pulled away by the ocean current.

Authorities no longer believe Gardner, 35, of Frederick, Md., could be alive, so they are holding Giordano on suspicion of involvement in her death. Her remains have not been recovered despite a search.

Police recovered her passport from her belongings and don't believe she could have left the island by air with a false identity. They have also found no evidence that she left by boat.

Giordano, 50, of Gaithersburg, Md., has denied any wrongdoing.

-----

> AFGHANISTAN

9 NATO troops killed in insurgent attacks

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- Insurgent attacks have killed nine NATO service members in the past two days in Afghanistan, military officials said Friday.

Eight of the nine were killed by roadside bombs, the insurgents' weapon of choice.

Two died Friday in separate blasts in the south, the coalition said. Their nationalities have not been disclosed.

On Thursday, a roadside bomb killed five U.S. troops in the south, American military officials said.

Also on Thursday, a roadside blast killed a French soldier in Kapisa province in the east, the French Defense Ministry. Four other French soldiers were wounded in the attack.

Another NATO service member died Thursday in an insurgent attack in the south, according to the U.S.-led coalition.

So far this year, 378 American and other NATO service members have died in the war in Afghanistan.

-----

> PAKISTAN

6 soldiers, 1 civilian found guilty of murder

KARACHI, Pakistan (AP) -- A Pakistani court on Friday sentenced to death a soldier who shot and killed an unarmed youth as he was begging for mercy -- an incident that was caught on videotape and repeatedly broadcast on TV.

Five other soldiers and a civilian who were present during the June 8 killing in a park in the southern city of Karachi were also convicted of murder and given life prison sentences.

Sarfraz Shah, 18, was fatally shot after being detained by a group of Pakistani Rangers on suspicion of robbery. A local TV journalist taped the incident.

The video shows Shah unarmed surrounded by the Rangers. As he moved toward one of them with his arms outstretched, he was pushed back, then shot twice in the hand and leg. While on the ground, he begged the Rangers to take him to a hospital, but they stood by as he writhed in a pool of blood. He was eventually taken to a hospital but died from blood loss.

The footage drew public fury, and the suspects were quickly arrested and put on trial.