Share this article

print logo

Terence J. Young, noted classic car collector ; Oct. 5, 1935 -- Jan. 16, 2011

Terence J. Young, a nationally known classic car collector and owner of an Orchard Park auto business for nearly 50 years, died unexpectedly Sunday. He was 75.

Born in Lackawanna, Mr. Young graduated from Bishop Timon High School and attended Canisius College before he opened Terry Young's Auto Plaza on North Buffalo Street in Orchard Park in 1963.

The Orchard Park resident continued to run the business at the time of his death, with his sons, Terence II and Frank.

The auto repair, towing and rental business expanded in the 1990s to include the restoration and sale of collector cars, which Mr. Young did locally, nationally and internationally.

His success earned him recognition in many publications. His prominence in the collector car field made him widely known and respected among buyers, sellers and hobbyists.

Mr. Young also was active in Nativity of Our Lord Catholic Church, where he served as an usher for many years. He and his wife, Estelle, successfully fought to have the Nativity scene retuned to the front of the Orchard Park Municipal Building in the late 1990s.

He was a 10-year member of the Lions Club and noted for his generosity to local charitable organizations. Until his death, he and his wife volunteered on behalf of youth at Our Lady of Victory.

Surviving along with his sons and the former Estelle Palmer, his wife of 45 years, are a brother, Ronald, and two sisters, Sheila Malczewski and Madonna Magee.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 10 a.m. Thursday in Nativity of Our Lord Catholic Church, 26 Thorn Ave., Orchard Park.

[SCANLON]

There are no comments - be the first to comment