Share this article

print logo

Sister Eleanor Galucki, became nun after raising six children Aug. 22, 1921 -- Nov. 11, 2007

Sister Eleanor Galucki, who joined the Sisters of St. Francis after raising six children, died Sunday in the Angels Health Care Center, Williamsville. She was 86.

Born Eleanor B. Platek in Buffalo, she grew up in Black Rock and married John Galucki in 1941. While he served in World War II, she worked for Niagara Frontier Transit and J.H. Williams. Together, they raised four boys and two girls.

After her husband died in 1973, she devoted herself to service to others. She volunteered with the American Red Cross, the Association for the Blind, the Cantalician Center and Literacy Volunteers. She sang in the choir in St. Christopher Catholic Church in the Town of Tonawanda and was a member of the Brighton Volunteer Fire Company Ladies Auxiliary.

She entered the Sisters of St. Francis in 1986 and volunteered for many years at the Little Portion Friary, helping the homeless in Buffalo. She also worked at SS. Peter & Paul School in Williamsville and at a school in South Carolina. Later, she did community service at St. Mary of the Angels.

Surviving are four sons, Lee, Jonathan, Philip and Dennis; two daughters, Beth Mellas and Aimee Rogers; and three sisters, Isabelle Klementowski, Mary Spiewak and Dolores Zorkos.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 9:30 a.m. Thursday in the chapel of St. Mary of the Angels, 201 Reist St., Williamsville.


There are no comments - be the first to comment