Share this article

print logo


Man in fair condition after being shot 5 times

A man who was shot five times during an attempted robbery of a dice game about 10:40 p.m. Friday on Butler Avenue was listed in fair condition Saturday in Erie County Medical Center on Saturday.

James Pritchett of Buffalo was shot in the shoulder, side, wrist, ankle and thigh by a man who got out of a van with a long-barreled handgun and demanded that the game players "give up the money," police said.

Another Buffalo man, Andre Loucks, was shot once in the thigh. He was treated in ECMC and released, police said.


Victim strikes back against 2 assailants

Two men who attempted to rob anther man found the tables turned early Saturday when the victim defended himself, Buffalo police said.

Bobby Lipscomb, 50, of Buffalo, was accosted by the two bandits about 1 a.m. near Bissell Avenue and Genesee Street, as he walked home from Erie County Medical Center after visiting a co-worker in the hospital, police said.

Lipscomb, a handyman, pulled a box cutter from his pocket and started swinging it, cutting both of the suspects, said Michael DeGeorge, Police Department spokesman.

Corvair Harge, 22, and Jason Tyus, 21, both of Buffalo, were injured and taken to ECMC, police said.

Information about their conditions was not available Saturday night, although DeGeorge said he believed Harge was in critical condition and Tyus in stable condition.

Police charged Harge and Tyus with second-degree robbery.


3-year-old boy dies in fall down stairs

TOWN OF LOCKPORT -- A 3-year-old boy died after falling down a flight of stairs Saturday afternoon.

The toddler fell down 13 stairs in an apartment complex at 6355 Robinson Road, Niagara County sheriff's deputies said. The Sheriff's Office received a 911 call about the incident at 12:46 p.m., and deputies found the child unconscious upon their arrival at the complex.

Rapids firefighters also responded to the scene. The boy was transported by Mercy Flight to Woman and Children's Hospital in Buffalo, where he was pronounced dead a short time later, without regaining consciousness. The name of the victim was being withheld Saturday. An autopsy will be conducted.


Two parolees accused of conducting drug deal

Two parolees allegedly conducting a drug deal on East Utica Street were arrested by Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority officers at about 7 p.m. Friday, NFTA police said.

Frederick A. Gelsey, 26, of Northampton Street, and Kevin M. Milon, 21, of the Bissonette House, were charged with resisting arrest and obstructing governmental administration. Milon also was charged with two counts of criminal possession of a controlled substance and loitering and Gelsey with disorderly conduct and harassment.

Police said they recovered a bag containing 18 rocks of crack cocaine.

Gelsey was paroled in December 2005 after serving about 3 1/2 years of a five- to 10-year sentence for criminal sale of a controlled substance, conspiracy and promoting prison contraband, and Milon was paroled June 26 after serving more than six months of a one-year sentence for attempted criminal possession of a controlled substance, police said.


Man leaving barber shop is shot in right side

A Chelsea Place man was shot Friday morning on East Delavan Avenue near Schuele Street, Buffalo police said.

The victim, Kenneth Johnson, no age listed, told police he was leaving JV's Barber Shop at about 9:30 a.m. when a gunman ran up to him and fired a .22-caliber weapon several times. Johnson was treated in Erie County Medical Center, police said.


No injuries reported in fire at Buffalo home

A fire Saturday night caused $25,000 damage to a house at 289 Monroe St., Buffalo fire officials said.

The fire started on the first floor and extended to the attic of the 2 1/2 -story structure. Officials said the building was unoccupied and there were no injuries from the fire, which was reported at around 8 p.m.

The cause is under investigation.

There are no comments - be the first to comment