The former owner of a Wende Street house where Buffalo Firefighter Mark Reed was seriously injured battling an arson agreed Thursday in Housing Court to make a good-faith effort toward repaying the $28,000 demolition cost.
The city had taken possession of the Wende Street property last year after Dale Acker, 43, a Delevan carpenter and handyman, failed to maintain that house and another on Best Street purchased in January 2003 for a dollar each. Acker was cited for 15 housing code violations, which he failed to remedy before the city took possession.
After sentencing by Housing Court Judge Henry J. Nowak, Acker served 18 days in jail in June for the Best Street violations, which had received the majority of citations.
"I know his family continues to pray for Mr. Reed and have a heartfelt hope for his recovery," said Samuel Davis, Acker's attorney.
Acker paid $500 and is to make monthly payments to the city for an as-yet-undetermined amount.
An emergency demolition order issued by the city was not ever carried out before the June 10 fire. A chimney collapsed on Reed, who suffered head injuries, and one of his legs was amputated.
Many of the more than 10,000 structures awaiting demolition have been described as fire traps.