Share this article

print logo


Amherst man,42, dies after driving into canal

A 42-year-old Amherst man died early Monday after driving his car into the Erie Canal in North Tonawanda.

Donald J. Kreuter, of Tonawanda Creek Road, was pulled from his car by the volunteer North Tonawanda Volunteer Dive Team but pronounced dead a short time later at DeGraff Memorial Hospital, authorities said.

Sonar devices were able to quickly locate Kreuter because he had two prosthetic legs.

"We're attempting to determine whether it was accidental or intentional," North Tonawanda Detective Lt. Thomas Krantz said.

Police said the man's car was parked in a lot at Sweeney and Main streets facing the canal when he drove the vehicle over the curb stop and the sidewalk, nicking a tree and going off the dock. The car struck a boat in the canal and then sank shortly after 1:30 a.m. Both the car and later the boat were pulled from the canal.

Kreuter had been at the Canal Fest watching the fireworks prior to the incident, and Krantz said Kreuter had been talking with a female friend before he got into the vehicle.

Detectives remained uncertain Monday night about why Kreuter drove his car into the canal. Krantz said alcohol may have been involved. Toxicology tests are being performed.


Intruders pistol-whip 3 women, police say

Three women were pistol-whipped Sunday during a home invasion at an East North Street house, police reported.

Three men barged into the home in the 200 block of East North Street after they knocked on the door, asked for someone and then forced their way past the baby sitter, Central District police said.

The men terrorized the three women inside the home, pistol-whipping each of them, police said.

One of the women, who lives at the address, was robbed of $500, which was her child's public assistance money. The other two women -- ages 39 and 25 -- were visiting the home.

No arrests had been made as of Monday night.


Woman says ex-boyfriend raped her, stayed all night

A woman in the Grant-Amherst neighborhood reported she was raped Sunday by her ex-boyfriend, who remained in her apartment until Monday morning, Buffalo police said.

The woman told police she broke up with the man Sunday morning and then left her apartment for the day, leaving him there. When she returned home at night, he allegedly entered her bedroom, sat on her bed and gave her a note telling her "not to scream."

According to police reports, the woman said she was then held at knifepoint and raped by the man, who stayed with her the entire night. The woman dropped him off at the bus station in the morning.

The woman also reported that the man took her house keys and jewelry.

Police are investigating the report.


Drug raids on West Side result in five arrests

Five people were arrested during a series of raids Saturday afternoon on the city's West Side that resulted in Buffalo police Mobile Response Unit members seizing four guns and a large amount of drugs, according to reports.

Kyle A. Egan, 18, of Boone Street; James Foxworthy, 20, of Niagara Street; George Wilson, 21, of Livingston Street; Derrick Yancey, 21, of St. Joseph Street; and Louis Hernandez, 21, of Eggert Road, were all charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance, criminal use of drug paraphernalia and unlawful possession of marijuana.

Yancey and Hernandez were also charged with criminal possession of a weapon.

Police were targeting the Lower West Side and believe they may have prevented violent attacks in a section of the city that has had two homicides recently.

"We believe we may have prevented another homicide," said Michael J. DeGeorge, Buffalo police spokesman.

Amherst and Buffalo SWAT and K-9 teams and Cheektowaga K-9 police participated in the raids. Thus far in 2007, the Mobile Response Unit has made more than 1,500 arrests and seized 92 guns and nearly $110,000 cash.


Victim listed as stable after W. Side shooting

An East Side man was hospitalized Monday after being shot Sunday afternoon on the city's West Side, police reported.

Demetrius S. Williams, of East Utica Street, was listed in stable condition in Erie County Medical Center with a gunshot wound in his left thigh.

A car pulled up next to Williams at about 4:30 p.m. on Potomac Avenue and an occupant called to him to the open passenger-side door, according to Northwest District Police.

As Williams approached the car, the driver fired one shot from a black gun.

There are no comments - be the first to comment