A panel of honorary judges -- including representatives from the Buffalo Niagara media, political and business sectors -- were among the thousands Saturday who enjoyed the Taste of Buffalo, presented by Tops.
They also made 7/7 /07 a bit luckier for several vendors at the festival, which continues from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. today.
The 2007 award winners are:
* People's Choice: Lafayette Tap Room -- BBQ pulled pork sandwich; selected by on-street polling.
* Chairman's Choice: Carmine's Restaurant, Clarence -- crabcake stuffed shrimp; selected by Lou Izzo, this year's Taste chairman.
* New York Award: Caribbean Experience -- jerk chicken sandwich; presented by Erie County Clerk Kathleen Hochul.
* Lou Billittier Memorial Rookie of the Year Award: Garris Bar-B-Que -- catfish nuggets.
* Best Seafood: Ms. Goodies -- JunkYard Dog fish sandwich.
* Best Vegetarian Food: Donnie's Smokehouse -- Southern cabbage and rice.
* Best Dessert: Sweet Tooth -- double fudge torte.
* Children's Choice: Panaro's -- mini cannoli; selected by several children from the Clarence area.
* Best Wine: Warm Lake Estates, Cambria.
* Best Overall Food: Eddie Ryan's, Lancaster -- pot roast melt sandwich.
* Best Meat Item: Mobay's Caribbean Cuisine -- jerk chicken with BBQ sauce in rice and beans.
* Carol Ann Roe Memorial Best Decorated Booth Award: Clarence Center Coffee Company & Cafe.
* Pat Sardina/Abby Stalker Memorial Award: Village Desserts, Williamsville -- summer delight cupcake.
* Independent Health Healthy Choice Options: First place, Niagara Cafe -- arroz con pollo guisado (stewed chicken with rice); second place, Orazio's, Clarence -- fusilli pasta primavera; third place: Suzz Cafe, City of Tonawanda -- cucumber cilantro salad.