Share this article

print logo


Homicide police probe man's death in attack

Buffalo homicide police are investigating the death of Christopher Harry Parker, 52, a former sound technician who was attacked in his Bird Avenue home June 27.

Police on Friday said an autopsy conducted Thursday revealed Parker died from "blunt-force trauma" that he suffered in an attack at 230 Bird Ave. When police arrived, Parker was conscious and talking, but did not know the identity of his assailant, police said.

Parker died Tuesday in Erie County Medical Center.


Buffalo pedestrian injured in Amherst

A Buffalo woman was in serious condition Friday after she was struck by a car while she was crossing Main Street in Amherst on Thursday, police said.

Joanne M. Beyser, 43, was crossing Main Street near Transit Road, when she was struck by a car driven by Daniel S. Leff, 22, of Williamsville, police said.

Beyser's injuries included a head cut and a broken pelvic bone. She remained in serious condition late Friday in Erie County Medical Center. Leff was not hurt.

Amherst police are investigating the cause of the accident.


Man charged in stabbing to stay jailed without bail

Eric V. Perez was ordered to remain jailed Friday without bail after he pleaded innocent to an indictment charging him with second-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of a 24-year-old Durham Avenue man during an early morning fight in the city's entertainment district two months ago.

State Supreme Court Justice M. William Boller ordered Perez, 18, of Rugby Road, to remain jailed pending further proceedings in the May 27 fatal stabbing of Paul E. Jenkins during a fight between two large groups of males in the 100 block of Delaware Avenue near West Huron Street just after 4 a.m.

Deputy District Attorney Frank A. Sedita said Jenkins was stabbed multiple times outside a Delaware Avenue bistro. A second man charged in the stabbing was cleared after a further investigation, court officials said.


Buffalo firefighters face 3 blazes in an hour

Buffalo firefighters battled three fires within a hour early today, including two arsons in vacant houses that left fire officials requesting emergency demolition for the two structures.

The three East Side fires, called in between 1:37 and 2:23 a.m., left a total of $170,000 damage, city fire officials estimated.

The first call, at 1:37 a.m., sent firefighters to 111 Metcalfe St., where a first-floor fire extended throughout the building. Officials requested emergency demolition following the arson that left $50,000 damage to the vacant 2 1/2 -story structure.

Firefighters then responded to a 1:51 a.m. fire at 291 Walden Ave., where the fire spread from the second floor to the attic of a building that housed a store and some apartments, fire officials said. The cause of the blaze, which left an estimated $60,000 damage, remains under investigation.

The third call, at 2:23 a.m., sent firefighters to 183 Paderewski Drive, a vacant 2 1/2 -story house that was engulfed in flames. The arson left an estimated $60,000 damage, as fire officials requested an emergency demolition.


Grand Island man charged with felony DWI

Grand Island police and Erie County sheriff's deputies teamed up overnight to arrest a Grand Island man on felony drunken-driving charges, after officers said they spotted him driving in the wrong lane on Whitehaven Road.

Raymond B. Byers, 58, of Center Court, was stopped after an officer observed his vehicle cross the center line on Whitehaven Road at about 11:50 p.m. Thursday, according to police reports.

After administering field sobriety tests, Grand Island Police Officer Chris Soluri and Sheriff's Deputy Gene Nati charged Byers with felony driving while intoxicated and failure to maintain a proper lane. Byers was charged with felony DWI because of a previous drunken-driving conviction in 2002, police said.

There are no comments - be the first to comment