print logo

Best of the blogs / Our readers speak out

Buffalo News readers are passionate about the Sabres. The Sabres Edge blog had more than 36,000 visitors on Monday.

Here is a cross-section of reader comments left on the blog. A few were edited to remove responses to postings that are not included. To post your comments, go to

Plain and simple, Darcy Regier needs to be fired. Miro Satan for nothing, poor planning for McKee, Briere and Drury. He held Biron for too long and eventually received cheech in return. Can this idiot.

Posted by: Joel M. at 01:17 p.m.

Before the piling on of Chris Drury starts, and you know it's coming, Dru was a warrior, the kind of player every parent should point to and tell their kids "See how he plays, that's how you play the game."

Was it tough hearing he signed with the Rangers? As a fan sure it was. You wish Chris the best.

That being said, amazing that the goodwill built up over the last two years has been flushed down the toilet so quick.

Posted by: DC Cab at 01:19 p.m.

I'm not here to question Darcy's skill at building competitive hockey teams, but I do have some questions for him:

Does not negotiating with your stars before they reach free agency make sense now?

How many Briere jerseys were sold last year?

How many Chris Drury jerseys were sold last year?

Should I buy a Vanek jersey or will he become our next free agent loss?

Do you understand why the fans bought those jerseys? All the game tickets for next year? We like our guys and when we have the chance to keep them on our team and don't do so, or even appear to have tried . . . well . . . it makes us mad, at you.

So no jersey this year for me. I'll just re-use my Drury jersey or dust off one of my other departed favorites jersey. And I'll certainly never buy the captain's jersey again -- that seems to be a curse.

Thanks Darcy.

Posted by: Scott McMahon at 10:30 p.m.

Loyalty? Apparently the Sabres organization doesn't have any for the fans. Not only did they let the heart and soul of the team get away, as of 10:30 p.m. they have not posted anything about losing Briere and Drury on the Sabres Web site. In fact, if you click on the "news" tab, the message is that there is no news for June or July.

Nice way to kill a team, Quinn and Regier.

Posted by: C. Robinson at 10:42 p.m.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are bashing the Sabres front office here but let's look around the league! How's New Jersey feeling? Edmonton? Montreal? Tampa Bay next season? This is the league not the team! We suffered through a lockout and for nothing. We are back to where we were the year prior to the lockout. The rich teams get richer and the small market teams get dumped on! Welcome to the real NHL, last year was smoke and mirrors. This year signifies the league that truely is! I personally, am done with it. . . . Love the Sabres to death but hate the league they are a part of!

Posted by: Bill at 10:54 p.m.

I still have my Peca jersey with the big "C" on it. Maybe Darcy and Lindy should slap that "C" on Peters this year, so that when he bolts, we won't care.

Posted by: Ed Leppien at 11:22 p.m.

You people are pathetic. It's a GAME. Go on with your lives. Tim, if you were offered big bucks to leave the Hooterville News -- you would. Duh. I left WNY for a hefty raise and my family and I don't regret it for a second. You people need to get a life!

Posted by: OLittleTownOfBuffalo at 12:44 a.m.

Three cheers for the front office.

They know the future is with the 20-something crowd. We are talking about professional sports -- loyalty has nothing to do with it. The front office is worried about producing a winning team, both now, and in the future. The players care about their family's future, not the team's. And, that's how it should be.

I am excited about the prospects of seeing a Connolly-Vanek-Pominville line playing 18-plus minutes every night. Ditto for a Roy-Max-Stafford line (Shuffle the names; substitute Hecht, Gaustad, Kotalik, or any of the Rochester group where you feel the need -- the point is the same).

Briere and Drury were important parts of the Sabres' resurgence (not to mention guys with real character) and it is hard to see them go. But, it is also hard to see how they will be worth $6.5 million-plus a few years from now, when the younger guys are more productive (do some research on players' productivity after they reach the big 3-0, you may be surprised). Remember, these younger guys will need to be signed too (not to mention the long-haired kid with the mask and a few quality defensive players).

The torch has been passed -- I look forward to the results. See you in October.

Posted by: Dan at 02:38 a.m.

I feel bad for Buffalo. After such a sell-out season, you'd think there would have been some good news yesterday.

I live in Philly now, and it's a cruddy start to this Monday with co-workers saying, "you gonna be a Flyers fan now?" What, are they crazy??? Sorry Briere, expect to be boooo'd if you don't produce. Philly fans are plain old mean!

Posted by: Michele at 09:31 a.m.

Well at least we have Spacek and Kalinin locked up.

Posted by: Dave F at 10:12 a.m.

OK, our captains are gone, nothing will change that and it (stinks). . . . What I am more concerned of is how this will affect future players signing with Buffalo. When they know this team does not value loyalty. Why would anyone sign with Buffalo when they know they could have the two best years of their career and it won't matter because Buffalo won't give you a raise and you'll be forced to move your family once the contract has expired?. I am concerned we not only lost our beloved captains but we lost the opportunity to sign quality players in the future. . . . Last point. . . . In a not so much as advertised ESPN poll, NHL players ranked Buffalo as the last place that they would sign if they had the chance to sign anywhere, and this was in the middle of a record setting season. You think it's because of the area? No I will give you three guesses and if you guessed Quinn, Regier or Golisano you would be correct.

Posted by: David at 12:22 p.m.

As I sit here and remember the treatment I got from Sabres fans (as a Ranger fan) while in a bar on Main Street in Buffalo during Game Five, it brings a smile to my face that the player who caused the pain (and in my face screaming by the fans) will not be wearing a Sabres uniform. I was not a huge fan of Briere, but Drury was the heart, soul and guts of your team. He is gone. The N.Y. Rangers not only scored in the UFA market, but they are absolutely LOADED in the farm system.

It is GREAT to be a N.Y. hockey fan. (Well at least if you live downstate).

Posted by: The Man at 07:34 a.m.

Tom, can I get my money back on my season ticket for next year? I'm not getting what I paid for, a winner!

Posted by: Chuck G. at 10:46 p.m.

Quinn's Buffalo track record to date:

Losing Drury, Briere, McKee and Grier;

That God-awful Buffaslug logo;

Reviving the historic Canal district to attract . . . Bass Pro.

Not a resume to be real proud of, Larry.

Posted by: SabreFan at 09:52 p.m.

There are no comments - be the first to comment