* Freshman sprinter Ashley Clinger-smith (Niagara Falls) won four individual events and was part of two winning relay teams to help the Niagara women's swimming and diving team to victories over Canisius and Siena.
* Buffalo State saw two school records fall last week. In women's swimming, Miranda Warner set a school record in the 100-yard backstroke, clocking 1:03.84 in a dual meet against Oswego. The previous record was 1:04.17. In indoor track and field, Sarah Gedraitis (Akron) eclipsed her own record in the 20-pound weight throw, registering a throw of 13.00 meters at RIT.
* Two Buffalo-area players are helping the St. Lawrence University women's basketball team to an impressive season. Nardin graduate Jamie Wolff is second on the team in scoring (11.1 ppg) while Mount Mercy alumna Andrea Muszynski is averaging 10.9 points and 5.2 rebounds. The Division III Saints are 15-1.
>Games to watch
* Now that they've earned the numbers, it's time for the Niagara men's hockey team (15-8-3) to back it up. The Purple Eagles are ranked No. 16 in both major polls and are No. 16 in both of the computer ranking systems. They return to conference play this weekend, hosting College Hockey America rival Wayne State at Dwyer Arena on Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m.
* UB's women's basketball team (6-12) will have all it can handle when Northern Illinois comes to town for a 2 p.m. game Saturday. The Huskies (12-5, 4-2 MAC) are led by senior guard Stephanie Raymond, who is second in the conference in scoring (20.5 ppg).
-- Amy Moritz