Share this article

print logo


>One-car crash kills South Dayton driver

CHERRY CREEK -- A South Dayton man was killed Monday afternoon when he lost control of his Ford Focus while traveling around a corner, causing it to go airborne and overturn several times, state troopers in Jamestown reported.

Ronald J. Sercu, 62, was traveling north on Route 83 when his car struck a guardrail at about 1:40 p.m. The crash sent the car into the air. It overturned several times and came to rest in a field.

Sercu was pronounced dead at the scene.

Troopers said the crash was not believed to be weather-related.


>Faulty wood-burning stove routs Dearborn St. family

A Dearborn Street family was displaced Monday morning after a faulty wood-burning stove inside their home sparked a fire that heavily damaged their house, fire officials reported. No one was injured.

Authorities said flames erupted at about 5:10 a.m. at 315 Dearborn, a 1 1/2 -story home near Austin Street.

Damage was estimated at $40,000 to the building and $20,000 to its contents. Fire officials said a family of about six people lived in the home and they sought refuge with a relative.


>Reward offered in slaying of police officer's brother

Crime Stoppers is offering a reward of up to $1,000 for the arrest and conviction of the killer or killers who gunned down the brother of a Buffalo police officer seven years ago.

Buffalo police recently released new information about the slaying of Parrish T. Marks, 38, in the hope that someone will come forward with information to solve the case.

Buffalo police Lt. Margaret Sack, Western New York spokeswoman for Buffalo Metropolitan Crime Stoppers, revealed that his killing may have been a case of mistaken identity. She also said that police ruled out the possibility that Marks was responsible for a past rape but that someone else might have believed otherwise.

Marks was the brother of Officer Chandra V. Thomas, who has since retired from the force.

On Feb. 1, 2000, Marks was shot to death shortly after 9 p.m. in the 400 block of Wohlers Avenue, between Brunswick Boulevard and Hamlin Road. His body was found in the street, next to a car parked beneath a street light. Shortly after hearing gunshots, a neighbor saw two or three light-colored cars drive by.

Anyone with information is urged to call Crime Stoppers at 856-5600.


>Arrest made in attempt to set house on fire

A Peckham Street man was charged Sunday with trying to set a fire at a Shumway Street home while a woman was inside, police and fire officials reported.

Napoleon M. McKinney, 34, was charged with reckless endangerment, attempted arson and criminal mischief.

Ferry-Fillmore District police said McKinney cut the screen on the rear window at 244 Shumway and poured an accelerant on the window at about 4:20 p.m The woman inside heard the noise and fled.

Officers Charles Skipper and Joseph Walters arrested McKinney at his Peckham Street home.


>Police officer finds missing city girl, 12

A Buffalo police officer found a missing 12-year-old Buffalo girl Monday afternoon after he recognized her face and began talking to her.

Shawnkila Moss, who disappeared Jan. 4, was the subject of a widespread search Sunday by members of True Bethel Baptist Church, where she and her mother are members. Shawnkila had run away from home last November but returned after four days.

At about 12:30 p.m. Monday, Officer Michael J. Pinnavaia was walking into work at the Central Police District station, 672 Main St., when he noticed a girl on Main Street in front of the police station. Pinnavaia said he began speaking to her and recognized her face from The Buffalo News, which had published a photograph of the missing girl Sunday.

"She saw herself on a missing-person flier," said Pinnavaia. "She was confused, and she didn't know what to do, so she was just hanging around the police station trying to figure out if she should turn herself in."

After a brief conversation with Pinnavaia, the girl went into the police station, where detectives questioned her. Police said she told them she slept in a vacant house after leaving home, after an argument with her mother.

Child Protective Services officials were investigating.


>Robbed woman's home later riddled by bullets

A 19-year-old Riverside woman's home was riddled with bullets Monday morning -- just three hours after she was robbed at gunpoint, police said.

Northwest District police said the woman was robbed of a gold necklace by a gunman wearing a black hoodie at 10 p.m. Sunday in the 400 block of Ontario Street, just a few blocks from her home.

Then, at 1:18 a.m. Monday, a gunman armed with a black revolver fired three shots into her house in the 300 block of Ontario Street. The home was occupied at the time of the shooting.

Police believe the same gunman robbed the woman and then fired shots into her home.

There are no comments - be the first to comment