* Niagara men's hockey coach Dave Burkholder was pretty happy with the way his team played against Canisius in a 6-2 win Saturday, but really hopes it's the last time he'll have to face the Golden Griffins. In the post game press conference, Burkholder said he did not feel that Canisius was a rival since the hockey programs are in different conferences and hopes that new athletic director Ed McLaughlin will allow him to drop the Griffs from future schedules.
* St. Bonaventure freshman Dana Mitchell earned a pair of honors last week -- most valuable player at the Wagner Holiday Tournament and Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week. Mitchell had 18.5 points and 7.0 rebounds as the Bonnies won the tournament and stretched its win streak to five games.
* They may have lost to Delaware, but the Niagara men's basketball team put together some impressive performances to go 2-1 at the Explorer Invitational beating host LaSalle and Holy Cross. Special kudos to senior Clif Brown who had two straight double-doubles, including 20 points and 11 rebounds against LaSalle.
* Allison Depp (Lockport) became Daemen's all-time leading scoring and rebounder last week in a loss at Pitt-Johnstown. Depp scored 23 points for 1,923 career points while her nine rebounds gave her 1,013. Unfortunately for the Wildcats (11-3), Depp left the game with a knee injury and is out indefinitely.
>Games to watch
* The Canisius hockey team hopes to get back on track this weekend as it returns to Atlantic Hockey play. The Griffs (4-13-1) host third-place Army (7-7-3) Friday night at the Buffalo State Ice Arena and Saturday night at the Pepsi Center. Both are 7 p.m. starts.
* UB wrestling returns to action Thursday afternoon, hosting a 1 p.m. dual meet with Clarion and Davidson. Senior Mark Budd and redshirt freshman Andrew Stella (Sweet Home) remain undefeated in duals for the Bulls.
-- Amy Moritz