Share this article

print logo


>Tonawanda restaurant fire blamed on electrical problem

An electrical problem sparked the accidental fire that extensively damaged Warren's Restaurant last week, City of Tonawanda fire investigators have determined.

The fire broke out in wiring above the chandelier in a second-floor apartment, Capt. Michael Young said. The Main Street building houses three apartments above the restaurant.

"The wiring is from the 1950s, when the place was built," Young said. "With age, come problems."

Young also said there were no warning signs, such as flickering lights, before the fire was discovered late Wednesday afternoon. Fire officials expect the damage estimate to top $200,000.

The restaurant's owner has vowed to reopen soon.


>Buffalo man convicted in sex-abuse case

A Buffalo man was convicted Friday of repeatedly molesting an adolescent girl when she visited the Town of Tonawanda home of one of his nieces more than four years ago.

A jury found Gary Wise, 49, of Tuxedo Place, an unemployed cab driver, guilty as charged on attempted rape, attempted sodomy, sexual abuse and child endangerment counts. Erie County Judge Timothy J. Drury presided over the trial.

Parents of the victim, now 15, contacted police last summer, after school officials alerted them to a troubling essay their daughter wrote for school.

Sentencing is scheduled June 7. Wise could face up to 50 years in prison.

There are no comments - be the first to comment