Few movies have just what it takes to be great Valentine's Day films. Here's a small sampling of perfect movies for a date or a girls' night in:
1. "The Notebook" (2004): One of the best love stories to come out in recent years because it is believable and full of great chemistry. You'll need tissues -- the ending is a real tear-jerker.
2. "Casablanca" (1942): The ultimate classic love story, named the American Film Institute's Greatest Love Story in 100 years of movies (and for good reason).
3. "Dirty Dancing" (1987): The ultimate fun, 1980s "chick flick" that will make you smile, sing, and dance along with it. It's a must for a Valentine's party.
4. "Beauty and the Beast" (1991): The best of Disney's animated love stories.
5. "Groundhog Day" (1993): A seemingly unlikely choice, but it truly is a great love story about a man who relives the same day again and again until he can earn the love of a woman.
6. "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" (2002): A must-see for anyone who comes from a big family. This will have you believing that love is possible for anyone; it's hilarious as well.
7. "While You Were Sleeping" (1995): Sandra Bullock at her romantic-comedy best. This is just the right mixture of cuteness and comedy.
8. "Titanic" (1997): For any girl who grew up with this film, it's the quintessential movie romance. Admit it, most of us still tear up when Rose lets go.
9. "An Affair to Remember" (1957): A great story of love found, lost, and found again. It's also another movie that will need its own box of Kleenex just for the last five minutes.
10. "A Walk to Remember" (2002): A new classic for our generation because of its realistic acting, great soundtrack, and sob-inducing story. The love between Jamie and Landon is the kind everyone dreams to find in their own life someday.
Katie Kawa is a senior at St. Mary's.