Bethune Hall, a 90-year-old industrial structure on Main Street in Buffalo that was transformed into a University at Buffalo classroom building in the 1970s, might be reinvented yet again as a mixed-use residential and office complex.
The state Office of General Services confirmed that Meyer Landau, a Brooklyn-based real estate investor, was the winning bidder at $384,000 for Bethune Hall, 2915 Main St., not far from UB's South Campus.
Landau is said to be interested in converting the 77,000-square-foot structure, situated on six acres next to Bennett High School, to a mix of loft apartments, artist studios and offices.
Landau was one of several bidders, a field that included local and out-of-town parties, for the state-owned building. The winning bid was more than twice the $150,000 minimum set by the state for the surplus building.
Built in 1915 for the Buffalo Meter Co., a maker of water meters, the masonry structure is four stories in the front, with a three-story rear section. The site also has a 90-car parking lot.
The state acquired the building in 1973 to house UB's School of Architecture and Design, naming it in honor of Louise Bethune, the Buffalo architect who was the first woman to become an American Institute of Architects fellow.
When the architecture school moved to its current home on the South Campus, the university's fine arts program took up residence, using it for classroom, studio and exhibition space until 1993.
The state decided to sell the building, which has served as a UB warehouse for 12 years, because the school's storage plans have changed.