Share this article

print logo


An Eden man received a six-month jail term Wednesday for his guilty plea to four statutory rape charges. He also is barred from having any contact with 12 teenage girls for the next 10 years.

Erie County Judge Sheila A. DiTullio's sentencing of Andrew Nellis, 23 -- who has been jailed since Nov. 1 on drug charges -- should have resulted in his release, but he remains jailed pending grand jury action in the drug case.

Reading from a prepared statement, Nellis, son of Eden Supervisor Glenn R. Nellis, told the judge that he has come to regret that "I have done some pretty embarrassing things for which I have great remorse."

DiTullio also ordered Nellis to undergo counseling as a state-registered sex offender and to submit to drug and alcohol evaluations.

On Oct. 13, Nellis accepted a pre-indictment plea deal and pleaded guilty to reduced rape charges for having sex with four Eden-area girls ages 14 to 16, between 2002 and last May.

DiTullio also issued orders of protection barring Nellis from contacting any of the other 12 teens for the next 10 years.

Following the proceedings, Thomas J. Eoannou, Nellis' chief lawyer, said his client, who has a 3-year-old daughter being cared for by his parents, has only admitted to having illegal sexual relations with four underage girls.

"There's no proof involving the other girls, but prosecutors wanted the orders of protection and they got them," Eoannou said.

Glenn Nellis, who was at the sentencing with his wife, Linda, said he was thankful the judge took into consideration the findings of two psychologists who have been evaluating his son and found drug and alcohol abuse contributed to his poor judgment.

He said he doubts his son -- one of the couple's four adopted children -- will return to the family's home. He added he doubts he will seek re-election in 2 1/2 years.

Andrew Nellis still faces court proceedings on cocaine possession and other charges. He was arrested Oct. 27 after a car chase with Buffalo police, who tried to pull over a car that ran a stop sign at West Ferry and Herkimer.

Nellis eventually stopped in the 600 block of Breckenridge Street and fled but was arrested following a brief foot chase.

That arrest prompted DiTullio to revoke his bail of $10,000 and order him rejailed Nov. 1.


There are no comments - be the first to comment