Share this article

print logo

DISHWASHER MALFUNCTION STARTS FIRE IN UB DORM

An electrical malfunction in a commercial dishwasher ignited a fire Sunday morning that caused damage estimated at $100,000 in the Red Jacket dormitory on the University at Buffalo North Campus in Amherst, Amherst Fire Control reports.

Getzville Fire Chief Raymond Fiegl said University Police alerted Amherst Fire Control at 7:36 a.m. about a fire in the cafeteria of the Red Jacket Quadrangle in the Ellicott Complex.

Getzville firefighters -- assisted by the Ellicott Creek, North Bailey and Snyder fire companies -- battled heavy smoke and heat. The fire was declared under control about 30 minutes later.

Officials estimated damage at $75,000 to the contents and $25,000 to the building.

There are no comments - be the first to comment