Share this article

print logo

BOMBING POSSIBLY LINKED TO ONE SUSPECT; 3 DEAD

Egypt said Friday that a bomb blast at a Cairo bazaar popular with foreigners may have been carried out by a man working alone as the death toll rose to three after an American tourist died of his wounds.

Another three Americans were among the 18 people injured in the explosion Thursday in a packed bazaar area in Cairo's old city, which also killed a French woman and an unidentified man that police said may have been the bomber.

Many of the wounded, including Egyptians, French and a Turk, suffered severe wounds from nails packed in the bomb, which witnesses said appeared to have been set off by a man on a motorcycle.

Egypt's Prime Minister Ahmed Nazief said the explosion may have been carried out by a person working alone.

A previously unknown militant group, the Al-Ezz Islamic Brigades, claimed responsibility, saying the attack was a message to Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak that Islamic militancy still exists in his country.

There are no comments - be the first to comment