A proposal to require the removal of fences higher than 4 feet has died.
The Town Board has decided to reject such a law and intends to make it official during its next regular meeting, scheduled for 7 p.m. Nov. 16.
At last month's public hearing, Supervisor Steven C. Richards told residents the proposal was designed to help drivers to see around corners safely.
But several residents told the Town Board that requiring them to remove the fences would be unfair since they had received town approval to erect them in the first place.
Councilman Lavern E. Haseley noted that, at some intersections, the fences impede drivers' visibility.
But he said the board should leave the fences alone, because the town had allowed those people to install the fences.
"They had permission to put them up and everybody thought it was all right at the time," Haseley said.
But he urges homeowners to remove fences that obstruct visibility and warns drivers to proceed more cautiously at such intersections.
Language scuttling the proposal will be on the agenda for the board's next work session in Town Hall, scheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday, when officials also will discuss increasing the cost of special-use permits.
The permits are required for businesses in residential areas.
Fred Clark, the town's building inspector, said the town now charges $25 for a one-year permit.