Share this article

print logo


Tests were under way Friday night at a Cheektowaga office park where dozens of employees were stricken with flulike symptoms, authorities said.

Emergency personnel were summoned to the Appletree Business Park on Union Road at about 7 p.m., after Verizon employees fell ill. There were unconfirmed reports that as many as 100 people were working in the office; Cheektowaga police said approximately two-dozen of them reported symptoms.

Only two or three people asked to be taken to St. Joseph Hospital for further examination and treatment, according to police Lt. John Glascott.

"The rest have signed off and . . . they will be sent home," the lieutenant said.

One employee who walked out of the building said that some people reported feeling nauseated.

The suspected source of the illness -- carbon monoxide poisoning -- did not check out, police said.

"The fire company has checked out the building. They are coming back with negative results," Glascott said.

Additional testing was to involve running other pieces of heating and ventilation equipment. The results of those tests were not available.

There are no comments - be the first to comment