To celebrate 55 years in business, local favorite Anderson's Frozen Custard is planning to open a 10th location.
The company's newest eatery is proposed for 2369 Niagara Falls Blvd. in Amherst, on a site that's currently home to Custard's Last Stand, an independent, locally-owned ice cream parlor. That spot has a long history of restaurant use, serving as home to an Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips in the 1970s.
Anderson's has filed plans with the Town of Amherst that call for demolition of the existing structure, and construction of a nearly 2,900-square-foot restaurant, with inside seating for 75, and a patio that can accommodate another 70 during warm weather months. The revised use plan will get its review by the town planning board at its Feb. 15 session.
Founded as a single custard stand in New York City by Western New York native, Carl Anderson and his wife, Greta, in 1946, the self-titled chain got its local start on Kenmore Avenue in the Town of Tonawanda, a year later.
In 1953, the Anderson relocated their stand to 2253 Sheridan Drive in the Town of Tonawanda, where it remains in business today. By 1994, the family business had grown to three locations, and in 1997, the company introduced franchise units to the mix.
Currently, there are five company-owned units, and four franchise operations open under the Anderson's name.