Share this article

print logo


Alfred J. Szklarz, who operated a pharmacy on Clinton Street for 40 years, died last Friday (Jan. 26, 2001) in Oakwood Health Care Center, Amherst, after a lengthy illness.

Szklarz, 83, established Szklarz Pharmacy at 1937 Clinton in 1949 and operated it until he retired in 1989.

He was a graduate of East High School and received a degree in pharmacy from the University of Buffalo in 1941.

During World War II, he served in the Army at a field hospital in Nottingham, England.

After the war, he worked at Harvey & Cary Pharmacy in downtown Buffalo before establishing his own business.

He was a member of Kappa Psi pharmaceutical fraternity, the Professional Businessmen's Association, the East Clinton Professional and Businessmen's Association, the Polish Arts Society, the Chopin Singing Society, the Erie County Pharmaceutical Association and the UB Pharmacy Alumni Association.

His wife of 50 years, Adeline Piechowicz Szklarz, died in 1997.

Survivors include a son, Thomas of Clarence; two daughters, Elaine Cloder of Pelham and Camille Elliott of Simi Valley, Calif.; three brothers, Norbert of Buffalo, Eugene of Los Alamos, N.M., and Julius of Sarasota, Fla.; a sister, Augustine Szlosek of Amherst; and five grandchildren.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 9:30 a.m. Saturday in St. Casimir's Catholic Church, 160 Cable St., after prayers at 8:45 in Buszka Funeral Home, 2205 Clinton St. Entombment will be in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga.


There are no comments - be the first to comment