Share this article

print logo


Buffalo Bills guard Ruben Brown strained a hamstring in the second quarter of Sunday's win over Philadelphia and could be questionable for next week's meeting with the Miami Dolphins.

Brown injured it chasing after Eagles cornerback Al Harris, who had intercepted a Doug Flutie pass and returned it for a touchdown. However, the play was for naught. It was obvious at the snap of the ball that the Eagles had jumped offsides, and Flutie took a chance on the throw, heaving it up toward the sideline.

Brown said the hamstring injury is not serious.

"It's a Grade One pull, which is pretty mild," said Brown, who added he was hoping to play against the Dolphins. "They told me they don't want me to push off it for three days, and after that we'll see how it is."

Defensive end Phil Hansen suffered bruised ribs in the fourth quarter and did not return. He was very sore but said he expected to be able to play in Miami.

Quarterback Rob Johnson was shaken up (coach Wade Phillips said he was "dinged") after his head hit the turf on a sack in the fourth quarter. He walked off the field under his own power. Alex Van Pelt played the final four offensive plays at quarterback.

Jamie Nails took over for Brown at guard. After Hansen was injured, the second-team defensive line of Marcellus Wiley, Pat Williams and Sean Moran took the field.

Phillips challenged a call and won a reversal on instant replay in the fourth quarter.

A punt by the Eagles' Sean Landeta was downed at the Bills' 5 after taking a bounce backward from the goal line. The official's ruling was the ball had not hit the goal line. The replay showed it had, and the Bills were given possession at their 20.

"The ball hit the line," Phillips said. "Especially at that point in the game, we didn't need the time out. He (the referee) said, 'You're only gonna get it at the 20.' I said, 'Yeah, but we're on the 5. I'd rather have it on the 20 than on the 5.' "

Doug Flutie took a big hit at the Eagles' 1 late in the first quarter. The Bills had recovered a fumble at the Eagles' 4, and Antowain Smith ran for 2 and 0 yards. On third-and-goal, Flutie looked to his right, where he had three receivers. He didn't see anyone open and rolled left. Safety Tim Hauck gave him a hard shot to the shoulder as Flutie dove for the goal line.

"I took a pretty good shot, but no, it didn't shake me up," Flutie said. "Bobby (Collins) was coming out and releasing, and I kind of pointed to the linebacker. . . . I was thinking just get a piece of him, I'll get in the end zone. But Bobby went out for a pass rather than the block, and I got handcuffed."

Flutie said he felt a twinge in his knee when he got up.

"I was maybe a little nervous for a minute or two, but it felt fine the rest of the day," Flutie said.

Lackawanna native Mike Mamula made his first start this year at right defensive end in place of injured Hugh Douglas. Mamula had two tackles and one assist. . . . Coverage linebacker Marlo Perry subbed for Gabe Northern part of the second half when the Eagles were in a must-pass mode.

There are no comments - be the first to comment