A woman who said she was sickened by E. coli after a trip to the Washington County Fair has filed a $16 million lawsuit against fair operators.
Carrie Adams of Greenwich charges that operators were negligent in not properly testing, chlorinating or treating the well water, and not locating their wells far enough from cow barns.
The lawsuit claims that Adams developed E. coli poisoning after drinking water at the fair on Aug. 28, alleging that she became infected, suffered diarrhea, nausea and high fever, accompanied by emotional trauma and fear over infection with a potentially fatal bacteria strain.
Fred E. Sober of Albany, her lawyer, filed a similar lawsuit the previous week on behalf of Fred and Janet Blagbrough of Queensbury.
At that time, Sober said his law office would file four or five more lawsuits on behalf of other clients.
The number of suspected or confirmed cases of E. coli now totals 1,050. Two died after drinking water at the fair.