Share this article

print logo


A Roslyn Street teen-ager's claim he was kidnapped and brought to a Nevada Avenue home failed to convince police he had nothing to do with stealing a safe containing $100,000 from the residence earlier Thursday.

Demetrius L. Parker, 17, and another person allegedly took the safe from a closet at the residence, a witness told Genesee Station officers and members of the Major Case Squad, which on Friday was continuing efforts to locate the safe and its contents.

The female victim said she had been saving the money for 25 years and that it belonged to her and other members of her family.

"Some of the money she said came from winning the lottery," a police source said.

The safe also contained $3,000 worth of jewelry, authorities said.

When officers responded to an 8:38 p.m. Thursday 911 call of kidnapping victims in the residence, they encountered an odd set of circumstances.

Parker, lying on the kitchen floor of the woman's home, pleaded with police to take him to jail. When they initially refused, sources said, he began acting ill.

That prompted authorities to transport him to Erie County Medical Center, where he was treated in the hospital's emergency room.

An investigation that included interviews with Nevada Avenue neighbors located a witness who had spotted Parker and another person carrying the safe from the woman's home earlier Thursday, police said.

Based on that information, Genesee Station Lt. Thomas Lyon charged Parker with one count of second-degree grand larceny just before midnight Thursday.

"He claimed he had been kidnapped and assaulted," said Lt. John P. Fenger, commander of the Major Case unit. "Our investigation is continuing and we anticipate there will be more arrests."

Parker told the officers he had been placed in the trunk of a car and driven to the woman's residence, where he was taken into the basement and attacked, police said.

The woman, when asked by police, denied any knowledge of the alleged kidnapping, though she acknowledged questioning Parker in her home at 8 p.m. Thursday concerning the safe's location.

Parker, authorities said, denied stealing the safe.

He pleaded innocent Friday in Buffalo City Court and is scheduled to return to court Oct. 19. Parker, unable to post $5,000 bail, was remanded to the Erie County Holding Center.

There are no comments - be the first to comment