Variety Club Women of Tent 7 will celebrate its 50th anniversary at a luncheon Saturday in Fanny's restaurant. Dorothy Kozlowski is chairwoman of the committee, comprised of all past presidents.
The organization, for wives of Variety Club members and women associated with the entertainment industry, was started by the late Dorothy Atlas and the late Ruth Geffin as the Barkerettes. Giannina Pappalardo is the only surviving charter member.
The name Heart Waves of Charity was chosen for the group at its first official meeting Oct. 6, 1949. Recognition from Variety International in 1952 eventually brought about its current name, identified with fund-raising for the Variety Club Telethon.
One of two remaining Variety Club women's organizations internationally, the local group sponsors picnics and holiday parties for children at the Dr. Robert Warner Children's Rehabilitation Center, its primary charity, and at Bornhava and St. Mary's School for the Deaf.