Share this article

print logo


A Jamestown police officer was shot in the face Wednesday night as he sat in a police car talking to a contact, police said.

The officer's partner returned gunfire and wounded the gunman, who then fled and holed up in a nearby home for five hours before surrendering.

Officer David Mitchell, 43, assigned to the Southern Tier Regional Drug Task Force, underwent a 10-hour operation today at Erie County Medical Center for an eye wound. He remained in critical condition in the trauma intensive care unit.

James Lewis Jr., 18, surrendered to police who had surrounded a nearby home of an acquaintance where he had holed up for five hours.

Lewis, shot once in the abdomen in an exchange of gunfire with Mitchell's partner, was taken to WCA Hospital, Jamestown, where he was listed in stable condition today.

Police have not identified Mitchell's partner.

Friends said that Mitchell grew up in the Buffalo area and lived on the West Side before moving to Jamestown to take the police job there 17 years ago.

Police said Mitchell was sitting in a parked car with his partner at Wescott and Benedict streets at about 9 p.m., when a young man described as a police "contact" walked up and
shot him once, with a small handgun.

"The suspect knew the officers," Jamestown Police Chief William MacLaughlin said. "It was a prearranged meeting. There had been contact between the officers and the suspect."

Police provided no more details about what preceded the shooting, but they denied that the incident was an undercover drug buy that went bad.

"We are not releasing any motive at this time," Chautauqua County District Attorney James Subjack said early this morning.

Witnesses told police that they heard six or seven shots in the exchange of fire. One bullet reportedly went through a neighbor's living-room wall and lodged in his ceiling.

Mitchell was taken to WCA Hospital, then airlifted to ECMC.

Jamestown police -- who brought in the FBI, the Chautauqua County Sheriff's SWAT Team, the state police and a heat-seeking helicopter from the Erie County Sheriff's Department -- originally were looking for a young man who had fled in a white car.

Police later learned that the young man had gone only a few doors away, to 112 1/2 Wescott, the home of an apparent acquaintance. There he holed up for about five hours with a woman and her child.

It's not clear whether they were being held hostage, but they left the house before police talked Lewis into surrendering without incident, shortly before 3 a.m.

Police later charged Lewis with two counts of attempted first-degree murder in the shooting of Mitchell and the exchange of gunfire with his partner.

The handgun used in the shooting apparently has not been recovered.

Correspondent Terry Frank contributed to this report.

There are no comments - be the first to comment