Share this article

print logo


One of the Blasdell fire commissioners has resigned from the Fire Department, saying the department should be disbanded.

The Village Board Wednesday night accepted the resignation of Robert J. Krone from the Blasdell Fire Company and Fire Department. He remains a member of the Board of Fire Commissioners, to which the board appointed him in March.

"My advice to the Village Board would be to close down this department," Krone said in his letter of resignation.

Krone, a former village trustee who has been a firefighter almost 18 years, said there always were cliques in the department, but disagreements never became personal until recently.

The department weathered a crisis earlier this year when a number of members went "on strike" after the election of a new fire chief was invalidated because he did not have the proper qualifications. Since that episode, a number of firefighters have left and joined other departments.

Krone said in his letter that as funding for the fire company declined, the cliques began squabbling over money. He said recent incidents in the department have "proven to me there is no hope."

His regrets include "no more working together, no more friendship and worst of all, no more fun" from being a Blasdell firefighter.

Krone was appointed to the Town of Hamburg Police Department last year.

Deputy Mayor George Lee praised Krone for doing a good job as a firefighter, then declared, "A village without a fire department ain't a village."

He pledged that the Fire Department would be built up, rivaling its former prominence, but that would take time.

"Rome was not built in a day," he said.

Also Wednesday, the board decided proceeds from the Blasdell Transfer Station would be spent on roads and playgrounds.

The board set up two capital reserve project funds, using the proceeds the village receives from tipping fees at the transfer station.

The account funding infrastructure improvements will receive 85 percent of the tipping fees, and the playground apparatus fund will receive the other 15 percent of the fees.

"We've got the transfer station in operation now, and we've got money," Deputy Mayor George Lee said.

Mayor Ernest Jewett said the village received $22,000 from the transfer station last year. If the station operates at mass capacity, the village would receive $250,000 a year, he said.

"We're hoping it gets up to there," he said. "It's a start."

He said the village is hoping to purchase new equipment for John F. Kennedy Park in the future.

There are no comments - be the first to comment