Share this article

print logo

DEATH TOLL IN BLAST RISES TO 91 AS PROBE CONTINUES

The death toll from an explosion that tore through a Moscow apartment building rose to at least 91 on Saturday, while investigators still couldn't say for sure what caused the devastating blast. There were still 19 residents missing.

Several officials, including Mayor Yuri Luzhkov, claimed that the explosion in the southeast section of the city was the result of a terrorist attack. The Federal Security Service, the country's main intelligence agency, confirmed Saturday that two suspects had been arrested in connection with their investigation.

A security service spokesman refused to give any information about the suspects. The Interfax news agency said the two had been linked to a business located on the nine-story building's first floor, where the blast was said to have occurred.

The Thursday explosion had a force equal to from 440 to 660 pounds of TNT. About 250 people were injured, and dozens remained hospitalized Saturday.

There are no comments - be the first to comment