An outbreak of E. coli bacteria at a county fair has resulted in the death of one girl and the hospitalization of 26 other people, state Health Department and hospital officials said.
Rachel Aldrich, 3, of Clifton Park died at about 3:30 p.m. Saturday in Albany Medical Center.
She was among 24 children and three adults who were infected Aug. 28 or 29 at the Washington County Fair, about 35 miles north of Albany, state Health Department spokeswoman Kristine A. Smith said.
By Saturday evening, 13 others had been treated at Albany Medical Center for possible E. coli contamination, hospital officials said. Five patients were in fair condition, and six had been treated and released. Another two patients were under evaluation.
The others were being treated in hospitals in Albany, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady and Warren counties, Health Department officials said.
Health investigators continued talking with patients and their families Saturday to try to determine if the victims consumed the same food or drink or participated in the same activity.
State environmental health workers also checked three water wells in the Town of Greenwich, where the fair was held.