Share this article

print logo

JOHN T. SZCZES, OWNED GILL CREEK INN IN FALLS

John T. Szczes, 84, owner of the Gill Creek Inn on Niagara Street, died Sunday (Sept. 28, 1997) in Deland Memorial Hospital, Deland, Fla.

He was born in Niagara Falls and attended the former Trott Vocational High School.

Szczes took over the family-owned Gill Creek Inn in 1945, and after selling the business in 1996, retired and moved to Deland.

He enjoyed softball, tennis, fishing and bowling. He loved golf the most and was a member of the South Ridge Golf Club of Deland.

Survivors include his wife, the former Estelle Wilczynska; three daughters, Charlotte Kloda of Williamsville and Barbara Spiller and Cynthia Gniazdowski, both of St. Augustine, Fla.; a son, Thomas J. of St. Augustine; four sisters, Ida Pernelli, Sophie Michaels, Jane Lewis and Helen Richwalder; 10 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

A memorial service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday in St. Peter's Catholic Church in Deland.

[Kowalik].

There are no comments - be the first to comment