Share this article

print logo


A young mother who just moved to Military Road was credited Sunday with saving the life of another tenant who had fallen asleep with breakfast on the stove.

Carla Marcelino of 124 Military Road heard the smoke detector sounding in the rear apartment at 4:30 a.m. and -- after calling the Fire Department and getting her three young children out of bed -- rang the doorbell repeatedly.

James Kowalkowski, the tenant, was awakened by the doorbell and looked out his window at the woman. He left the building with the assistance of arriving firefighters.

Kowalkowski, who suffered smoke inhalation, was listed in stable condition in Millard Fillmore Hospital.

"If it hadn't been for her, the poor guy would have been dead," said Joseph Zon, owner of the building. "Good thing she moved in a month ago, because that front apartment was vacant for a long time while we were remodelling."

Zon said Kowalkowski, who lives alone, was cooking a meal after coming home from work and apparently went upstairs for a nap.

Firefighters estimated the damage at $5,000 to the building and $1,000 to its contents, but Zon said it was more extensive. Mrs. Marcelino and her children moved in with relatives.

There are no comments - be the first to comment