Share this article

print logo

FATAL SHOOTING LISTED AS 'PROBABLE' ACCIDENT

An investigation into the apparent accidental shooting of an 17-year-old Olean boy continued today, and police declined to say whether another Olean teen-ager faces possible criminal charges in the case.

Sgt. Brian Donnelly of the Olean Police Investigative Division said the death Sunday of Ryan Sprague, of 202 N. Barry St., had been listed as a "probable accidental shooting."

As of Monday no charges had been placed against another 17-year-old who reportedly was cleaning his 16-gauge shotgun when it discharged in a home at 1009 Buffalo St. shortly before 4 p.m. Sunday.

Ryan, struck once in the face with a shotgun blast, was pronounced dead at Olean General Hospital.

Donnelly said police were withholding the identity of the youth who was handling the shotgun when it discharged. His mother called police about the shooting, Donnelly said.

The youth had owned the shotgun for some time before the incident, police said.

There are no comments - be the first to comment