Share this article

print logo


Lawrence Bartley, 17, of Laurelton was charged in the shoot-out at the Christmas premiere of "The Godfather Part III" that killed one youth and injured three others, police said Sunday.

He was charged Thursday with reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a weapon, said Nassau County homicide Detective Sgt. William Cocks. Police had waited to announce Bartley's arrest because they thought other suspects being investigated might flee if they heard he had been charged, Cocks said.

The shooting happened about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday inside the Sunrise Cinema in Valley Stream when two groups of youths among 700 watching the film began arguing about noise in the theater about an hour into the movie.

Tremain Hall, 15, of Hollis, Queens, was shot in the head and died Wednesday morning in surgery at Mercy Hospital, Rockville Center. Turaine Haines, 17, of Woodside, Queens, shot in the left eye, was reported in stable condition Sunday at Mary Immaculate Hospital in Queens after surgery.

Two 23-year-olds -- a husband and wife -- were treated for gunshot wounds to the arms.

At a news conference Sunday, Cocks described how Bartley was captured after the gangster movie shooting. He said police information led them to Bartley's home, where the youth first tried to flee in a car and later by foot.

Police followed him by car, finally handcuffing him after a foot chase, the detective said, but two other suspects escaped, they said.

Police recovered five illegal weapons from Bartley's home, including an Excam 380 semiautomatic gun, which police believe was used at the movie house.

Police are also looking for a 9mm gun, which was thrown from the car during the chase.

Bartley has not been charged with murder because police are not yet able to prove the suspects acted "not as individuals, but as a group when they shot in the movie theater," Cocks said.

He said one group of youths, numbering between seven and 10 youths, walked into the movie late and made noise throughout the show. "The people were annoyed by the noise created," Cocks said.

The group then got into a shouting match with another group of about six youths, Cocks said.He said at that point several members of the larger group approached the smaller group and there was gunfire.

There are no comments - be the first to comment