St. Bartholomew's Church, 335 Grider St., was dedicated Dec. 12, 1930, less than nine months after ground was broken for the English Gothic structure. It was named in honor of Bishop Charles H. Colton, who was ordained a bishop on Aug. 23, 1903, the feast of St. Bartholomew, and who authorized its construction to serve the growing Catholic population in the city's Kensington section.
The 600-seat church was constructed with discarded cobblestones that had been removed from Buffalo streets when they were paved for the first time with asphalt. The construction cost was $105,000.
St. Bartholomew's Parish was founded in 1912 by the Rev. Thomas J. O'Hern, who held services in a house for two years before building a combination school and church in 1914.
He also was responsible for building the existing church and continued as pastor until his death in 1961.