Share this article

print logo

LANCASTER REJECTS BIDS FOR PARK; REBIDDING IN THE WORKS

The Town Board Monday rejected bids for Walden Pond Park but that doesn't mean the improvement project is dead, Councilman Donald E. Kwak said.

"We want to go through with the park," Kwak said. "We hope to rebid it in February."

Bids totaled $554,278, but the town was expecting to pay about $300,000.

Several factors that may have accounted for the high bids will be modified, Kwak said. The Persian Gulf crisis and resulting high oil prices affected price projections for asphalt, so a clause, which would assume an escalation or drop in prices, would be proposed, Kwak said. Switching sod for grass seed also could produce savings, he said.

The way the project is funded also is being reviewed, Kwak said.

The second phase of improvements at the Walden Avenue park would include an extension of the road system, parking lots, softball diamonds, a soccer field, aplayground and restroom.

In another matter, Councilman Robert H. Giza, chairman of the Human Resources Committee, said options for relocating the Youth Bureau, senior citizens center and Meals on Wheels program from the Central Avenue School are being studied.

Last week the Lancaster Central School Board agreed to place a referendum before voters on renovating the school and opening it for classes next fall.

The Town Board also:

ngintheworks Authorized fire protection contracts with its four volunteer companies, with an average increase of 15.5 percent.

Voted, 4-1, to rescind a resolution authorizing termination of the town's snow removal contract with thew county unless the town received $1,500 per lane mile. The town will accept the county's $1,300 offer. Supervisor Stanley Jay Keysa, who cast the dissenting vote, said he was objecting to the annual wrangling and the towns' subsidizing the county.

There are no comments - be the first to comment