Share this article

print logo

EX-GUARDSMAN ACCUSED IN THEFTS MAY GET PLEA DEAL

A former sergeant from Albion is expected to agree to a plea bargain this afternoon in connection with an arms theft scandal in the New York National Guard.

Glenn E. Murray, attorney for Glenn Kellar, said Monday that Kellar, and the U.S. attorney's office have reached a tentative plea agreement.

"He's facing an 18-count indictment and is pleading guilty to one small fraction of that indictment," Murray said. "He's admitting that he took some gun parts, which was a very widespread practice where he worked at the time."

The plea agreement must be approved by U.S. District Judge William M. Skretny, who had been scheduled to preside over Kellar's trial beginning Jan. 15.

Kellar, 47, a former sergeant at a Rochester maintenance shop run by the 134th Maintenance Company of the New York National Guard, was charged last year with trafficking in military firearms and parts stolen from that shop and others. Two other Guardsmen and a Rochester police captain also were charged in the case.

But under the plea with prosecutors, Kellar would plead guilty to one felony count of theft of government property. Murray said he hopes the judge, under federal guidelines, won't sentence Kellar to a term of more than four to 10 months. The maximum penalty is 10 years in prison, Gromis said.

There are no comments - be the first to comment