Share this article

print logo


Private graveside services for Margery Jane Marble Hanson, 90, society editor of The Buffalo Evening News from 1938 to 1958, were held this afternoon in Evergreen Hill Cemetery, Corfu.

Mrs. Hanson, who was known as "Miss Marble" to the scores of Western New Yorkers who dealt with her as an editor, died Friday (Dec. 7, 1990) in the Village Green Nursing Home, Le Roy.

An environmentalist and conservationist with a deep interest in Native American affairs, Mrs. Hanson also was a former editor of the women's pages of the Buffalo Courier-Express.

Born in Indian Falls at the turn of the century, she grew up in Batavia and was a graduate of the old Buffalo Normal School. She began her career on the Batavia Daily News in the 1920s when it was rare for women to be on a newspaper's staff.

She next joined the Courier-Express, where she was women's editor in addition to other duties. She remained a Batavia resident even after being hired as society editor by The News.

Mrs. Hanson commuted daily by bus, automobile or train. A member of the Rochester Hiking Club, she walked, in stormy weather, from the Central Railroad Terminal on Paderewski Drive to The News.

The former Margery Jane Marble, she was married in 1940 to William E. Hanson.

In the mid-1950s, the couple moved from Batavia to Stafford. They bought and restored an 1831 field cobblestone house resting on more than 100 acres. During their retirement years, they planted a wide variety of trees on the property, making it an arboretum with birdhouses and feeders that attracted many different species.

At Hanson's death, in 1986, he was chairman of the board of Genesee Le Roy Stone Corp. and retired president of P.S. Service in Pavilion.

Mrs. Hanson's affinity for domestic animals and wildlife came from her father, the late Dr. Frank Marble of Batavia, a country veterinarian who often took her on his rounds.

Her interest in Native Americans and the outdoors stemmed from her heritage. She was a descendant of Caleb Marble, who bought farmland in 1835 in Indian Falls on the tract then known as the Tonawanda Reservation. The farm, where Mrs. Hanson was born, and the land remained in the Marble family until Mrs. Hanson sold it a number of years ago.

In 1956, the all-Native American Peter Doctor Memorial Scholarship Committee, whose aim was enrolling Native American youth in New York's public high schools, honored Mrs. Hanson as a "door opener" for her interest and support.

An avid reader and world traveler, Mrs. Hanson was a member of the Friends of the Animals, the Humane Society of the U.S., the Defenders of Wildlife, the Erie County SPCA, the National Audubon Society, the National Wildlife Federation, the Animal Protection Institute of America and the Adirondack Mountain Club.

Also, the World Wildlife Fund, the Nature Conservancy, the Sierra Club, the Bergen Swamp Preservation Society, the Buffalo Audubon Society's Beaver Meadow Environmental Education Center and the Audubon North Java Environmental Center.

There are no comments - be the first to comment