The Common Council Wednesday voted unanimously to have the city withdraw from the Niagara Solid Waste Management Consortium at the end of the year.
The Council took the action despite a last-minute presentation by the consortium to persuade the city to remain. "We pitched it as well as we could," said James E. McElheny of Wendel Engineers.
Council President Alfred J. Cappola, D-7th Ward, said the Council did not budget the $18,000 to continue in the consortium for 1991. The city has been a member of the consortium for two years.
"We didn't make the appropriation during budget time," he said. "We felt we were at a budget crunch and we were looking for avenues to cut. We did not feel we were getting our $18,000 worth out of it."
The city has started its own curbside program which collects paper and cardboard only, the same materials as the consortium. It is operated through Modern Landfill in Lewiston. Cappola said not even the consortium has found a market for plastics and glass.
Mayor Thomas C. Rotondo Jr. said he felt "very confident we can continue to explore new avenues" in terms of getting non-paper products recycled.
"The consortium said we made a mistake tonight and I appreciate that," Alderman Elroy D. Powley, R-4th Ward said. "We can always come back begging."
Last month the Council took no action on following Rotondo's recommendation to withdraw as the Council's four Republicans asked for more time to review the situation.
In another matter, the Council appointed an 11-person Ad Hoc Committee on Civilian Dispatchers to do a study and make recommendations on improving the dispatch system.
Rotondo said a study of how operations are handled in other cities will be included.
Alderman Edward W. Tracy, D-5th Ward, said the committee is not expected to report back to the Council before Labor Day.