Twelve people escaped injury Sunday night when a fast-moving blaze swept through the rear of a 2 1/2 -story house at 456 E. Ferry St. The smoke detectors in the house apparently failed to work, but three adults and nine children made their way to safety.
Division Chief Edward Burch said the first fire companies on the scene about 7:19 p.m. saw flames shooting out of the attic windows of the house.
"We're checking the smoke alarms because it just doesn't seem right that it should get going that good," Burch said.
The fire started in a first-floor bedroom and spread up the rear of the house to the attic, leaving $15,000 damage to the building and $10,000 to the contents. No injuries were reported and the victims were assisted by the Red Cross.