The First United Methodist Church, 25 Church St., Fredonia, was completed in 1924, replacing the church that had burned two years earlier.
Church records indicate that the English Gothic structure, which has seating capacity for 350 people, was built and completely furnished for $120,510. Made of tan brick with stone trim and featuring a front window-wall of stained glass, it is valued today at $2.5 million.
The church was founded in 1811 as a Methodist congregation and remained so until 1968 when the United Methodist Church was formed by the merger of the Methodist and Evangelical United Brethren churches.
Today the congregation has 637 members.