Share this article

print logo

ARSON RULED CAUSE IN $100,000 BLAZE

Arson was ruled as the cause of a two-alarm fire shortly after 2 a.m. Sunday that caused $100,000 in damage to a business and apartment building at 3586 Main St., Amherst, a few doors from the University Plaza, fire officials said.

The fire began in a rear shed of the 2 1/2 -story building, which housed the Otis Bedding Mfg. Co. Inc. showrooms on the street level, said Chief Jerry Cumpston of the Eggertsville Volunteer Hose Company. The fire spread into the second floor and attic.

A woman occupant of a second-floor apartment was one who summoned firefighters at 2:03 a.m., officials said. The woman, whose identity was not available from fire officials,fled safely.

A second alarm was sounded at 2:11 a.m. North Bailey and Snyder Fire Companies were sent to the blaze. Firefighters were at the scene for more than three hours.

Cumpston estimated the loss at $80,000 to the building and $20,000 to the contents. Detective Peter Manzella of the Amherst police arson unit is probing the motive for the arson fire.

There are no comments - be the first to comment